I just saw Nonpoint and Soil in May, but when I saw that they were adding (Hed)PE and Spineshank I made it a point to get tickets to see them again. Even though they weren't coming back to my immediate area, I'm on summer vacation and I was willing to go out of my way. Even better was that I was able to meet up with an old friend on the way. In fact, I brought a couple people and he brought a couple people and it made it the biggest group I have been to a show with which made it even more fun. I had to recap this amazing night with another post!
On August 4th I picked up my college buddy Jeff, and his friend from the gym, and drove to meet my old friend Chris and some of his friends. We took two vehicles to the Sherman Theater in Stroudsberg, PA. On the way, Chris played us a few original songs as well as songs from the bands we were going to see to hype us up. We pre-gamed a little in the parking lot and then got on line for the venue. Inside this place was about the size of the Webster in Hartford, but laid out a little differently. The long front hallway had the snack stand, merchandise tables, and a bar across the back. Then entering the concert hall there were maybe 20 rows of chairs and then a big general admission floor space that was slanted toward the stage. Even though some people were there early, we got near the front. I was about second row for (Hed)PE who played first. This was my 6th time seeing them live, but first with their new drummer and guitar player. The drummer, Stephen Arango, just joined in 2024 and was pounding the skins. The new guitarist, Nathan Javier, joined in 2021 and seems cool. What stood out most is that everyone seemed to gel nicely and the band has ditched the reggae breakdowns that had been mixed in with a lot of the old songs. I was thankful to hear many songs from the Broke album the way they used to be, and this was the most the band has sounded like the classic record in over a decade. They started right at 7PM with Jesus (of Nazareth). KB is still killing it on bass and Jared can still growl, rap, and command a crowd - and yes, he played his melodica including an outro to the 30 minute set at the end of "Bartender."
Just a short while later Spineshank came out and began with "Asthmatic." I was most excited to see them because I hadn't seen them since 2003. They are down to a four-piece after previously touring with two guitarists. Guitarist Jason Hager (Chimera) has been home since May to focus on his mental health. They still have their long time drummer, Tommy Decker, and his son Tommy Jr. is now playing guitar. James Mills is currently covering bass and backing vocal duties while longtime member Rob Garcia is taking some time off as well. Lead singer Johnny Santos is significantly heavier and doesn't have the same voice that he used to have. He looks very happy to be back on stage though and he interacted well with the crowd. It was still cool to see them again. I heard many of the songs I wanted to hear as they covered four songs each from Height of Callousness and Self-Destructive Pattern. There was a bit of moshing, but I'd say the pit was lackluster. It allowed me to get some video and keep my spot at the front without getting slammed so I was fine with it. Spineshank is the first band that I moshed to back in 2001, but I'm getting old for that now.
At the next break I got a refreshment and checked out the merchandise stands more closely. Bands had reasonably priced t-shirts at $35. HedPE members had appeared at their table right after their set. Johnny said he would wait until after Nonpoint to join his table. By 8:30PM Soil took the stage and kicked off with "Breaking Me Down." Like when I saw them in May, they played only songs off of Scars and Redefined. Singer Ryan McCombs as always had his Shure Super 55 "fat-boy" microphone that looks like a speaker. He is still flanked by original members Adam Zadel and Tim King who are massive individuals that look even taller compared to the 5'6" McCombs. TJ Taylor, formerly of Tantric, has been drumming for Soil since 2017. Last show I caught a drum stick from him, or rather it went over my head and the girl behind me that caught it gave it to me because she said she didn't know them and I was obviously a fan. This night the band sounded great and I thought Ryan was even stronger and more consistent than last time on songs like Unreal, Dirty Black Seven, and crowd favorite Halo. After 8 songs and a little after 9PM they were done. Less than 30 minutes later Nonpoint came out. Gone are the days of hour long set changes. Nowadays bands usually pre-load all of their gear and sound check early. After each performer, gear is removed, opening the stage up for the bigger acts.
Nonpoint started with the energetic song "Ruthless" and lead singer Elias implored us to move. They also seemed to be more "on" than last time. The stage was smaller, but they all moved around jumping, headbanging, and even trading places on stage. Most of the time I was in front of Rasheed which is cool because the last two times I was on Jason's side. I also left out that by this point I had made it to the railing because my friend Chris and a complete stranger moved aside so I could get up front. I must have earned my spot because throughout the set the guys next to me and behind me were slapping my back, fist-bumping, and singing with me. A couple of songs in the guitarist from HedPE appeared on a balcony on the side. Elias remarked how all the bands have history together, and the balcony was lit up as he thanked the opening bands. They played new songs "Red Yeti" and "Is It" from their forthcoming album. After "Mindtrip," Johnny from Spineshank appeared on the balcony and Elias mentioned how they were friends since Ozzfest '01. Drummer Robb got up from his kit and went over to fist-bump Johnny. I was at that tour and remember that at our show at PNC Johnny even joined Nonpoint to sing a song during their set. Seeing the camaraderie and feeling a part of the metal community was really special. But wait, there's more! Nonpoint rounded out their set with "What a Day," a hybrid of Victim and Endure which had me going nuts, an awesome version of "My Last Dying Breath," and closing as always with "Bullet With a Name."
After about an hour from Nonpoint it was over. I failed to catch a guitar pick or setlist, but just as I was about to walk away from the rail one of the stage hands called me out and handed me a setlist! It has the wrong date and city on top, but it was the same songs. He said "I saw you rocking out. I watched you and you deserve this." As I floated out of the stage area we passed the Spineshank table. I called out to Johnny, but there was a line of people waiting to get pictures and merch so I wasn't able to talk to him. A few minutes later Ryan from Soil was wandering around and I asked to get a picture with him. He gladly obliged and then took pictures with my buddies as well. Chris told him about seeing him back in the day. He told us that the Nonpoint guys were showering and might not come out for a while. He said he was drunk so he was going back to the bus after he signed some kids swords and whatever else people had. Jeff ended up on the Sherman Theater website for his R2D2 Metal Head shirt. Our whole party was visible in the picture taken from the stage after Nonpoint's set that appeared on their social media. Nonpoint has been one of my favorite bands since I first heard them in 2000. After seeing them for a dozen shows, they remain one of my favorites. This night because of the lineup, the friends, the whole atmosphere, the sound and everything in total, will live in my memory for a long time. Nonpoint has a new album called The Last Word due out September 18. (Hed)P.E. has an album Relapse due out October 2. Spineshank said they are working on new music and hope to have an album out by the end of the year. Soil has reportedly been sitting on new music and plans for its release have been delayed. Nothing was mentioned of it at the last two shows, but some interviews say it is still coming. Stay tuned for more rock from all of these bands and definitely catch a show if you are able. Rock on!


No comments:
Post a Comment