Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Nonpoint - The Return

In the interest of full disclosure I have to say that Nonpoint is one of my favorite bands.  I was first turned on to them with the release of their major label debut Statement in 2000.  They were basically riding the nu-metal wave and fit the typical rap-rock hybrid at the time.  But something was different about them.  They had Spanish influences ("Orgullo" was sung completely in Spanish).  They had dynamic songs.  They had good lyrics that brought you on a journey (see "Mindtrip" or "What a Day").  They were simply better than most in the nu-metal scene.  Over the years they have evolved, but they've still stayed hard rock and heavy metal at the core.  Their latest release is curiously titled, being that they have never really gone away.  Within the past couple of years some members have changed, but the heart of the band: drummer Robb and singer Elias has remained.  They also never stopped touring or releasing records.  I own all nine of their albums and have seen them in concert seven times.  The most recent was a few months ago when they opened for Megadeth.  They definitely made some new fans that night, but I can't believe that people are still just discovering this band.  As a scientist, I think I can remain objective while I discuss The Return.

The album opens with "Pins and Needles."  It establishes the sound of the new lineup which isn't that much of a departure from the previously self titled album.  This song has a simple chorus, yelling verses, good rhythmic guitars, and some soloing.  Following this is "Breaking Skin" which will be the first single.  This song kicks it up a notch in terms of energy with driving rhythms and full on angst in Elias' vocals.  Then things slow down a bit and I was a little disappointed by this.  The next few songs are kind of generic sounding and didn't really move me.


The energy and tempo pick up again with "Take Apart This World"  It is certainly one of the hardest hitting on the album, but still nothing like "Bullet With a Name,"  or even "Rabia."
I certainly hear BC Kochmit’s influence on the guitars in "Forcing Hands" as it sounds like some of the riffs could have been found in one of his previous bands Switched, Dark New Day, or Eye Empire (all worth a listen).  BC is a cool guy too.  I actually met him back in 2002 when Switched was opening for Nonpoint.
**Correction: BC Kochmit did not write or play on this album. He is currently touring with the band and writing new material. (cited BC's Facebook Sept 30)
Chris, Brad (BC) Kochmit, and me after a gig @ Birch Hill 6/14/02

Chris, Switched singer Ben Schigel, and me after a gig @ Birch Hill 6/14/02
Chris, Elias, and me after a gig @ Birch Hill 6/14/02

Other highlights include "Never Ending Hole," the most retro-Nonpoint-sounding in many ways, but with backing vocals and a shredding guitar solo that is bringing something new.  My favorite song right now is "Never Cared Before." I thought Robb was gonna pound through his drum heads as he demonstrates his Animal persona on this one for sure!  It is fast and hard hitting and includes a heavy breakdown.  

This album is definitely taking the band in a new direction.  I think Nonpoint is just getting started with this new lineup and it is going to take some time to develop.  The songs just seem to lack the focus and intensity of the past.  I think the writing has been simplified and stripped down.  They are playing around with some different guitar sounds and layering techniques, but I still think that Elias’ voice is carrying a lot of the load.  Still, there are some rockers here that will be nice additions to the live set and that keep me optimistic about this band's future.  I'm hoping to catch them the next time they play Starland Ballroom in November.  Look for me in the pit!
Robb and me at Wellmont 11/29/13

Latest Nonpoint lineup at Wellmont - 11/29/13 
 

1 comment:

  1. Correction: BC Kochmit did not write or play on this album. He is currently touring with the band and writing new material.

    ReplyDelete