Pages

Friday, August 19, 2016

Gemini Syndrome - Memento Mori and more

I don't even remember where I first learned of Gemini Syndrome.  Usually I remember the first time that I hear a song and where I stumbled upon it whether it was on the internet, on the radio, from an opening band in concert or from a video game.  I think I might have seen ads for their debut album Lux in a magazine like Revolver.  Maybe they came up on suggested artists on iTunes.  All I know is that when I first heard them I loved them.  When I recently saw them at a small club in Stanhope, NJ they cemented themselves as one of my favorite bands right now.
Gemini Syndrome @ Stanhope House 8/3/16

Lux has a lot of strong tracks such as Pleasure and Pain, Stardust, and Mourning Star.  I think that lead singer Aaron Nordstrom has a unique voice and especially a unique growl.  If you've never heard them, the first album has similarities to Disturbed and Red.  They are a Christian band with a positive message, but their music is heavy and has some rawness to it.

Memento Mori is an interesting album title.  It was previously used as an album title by fellow Christian band Flyleaf and also by a lesser known metal band from the 90s.  Memento Mori is a Latin expression which translates to "remember (we) die."  It refers to the fact that we are all mortals, but also in ancient Roman times warned those coming back from battle not to get too prideful in themselves.  In a religious context, it also deals with the concepts of heaven versus hell and the salvation of the soul in the afterlife.

Lead track to the album Memento Mori called "Anonymous" preaches that we are all important, yet we are all the same because we all live and die the same way.  It is one of the most aggressive songs about treating everyone with love and respect that I have ever heard; and that is exactly what I love about Gemini Syndrome as a band.  Second track "Remember We Die" is even more literal in discussing the fact that we all live for a limited time on this Earth.  "Remember we die, but you're still alive, so don't let go..." Aaron sings.  Embedded in the track are the messages that each of us has an obligation to and a power to contribute something to society.  It also alludes to the idea that suicide is not a viable option because "there's plenty of time to see the other side" and "until we arrive [to heaven] don't let go, just let the light shine from your soul."  If you listen to this song and it doesn't inspire you, I feel sorry for you.

Setlist 8/3/16 Gemini Syndrome @ Stanhope House
In my opinion, the tempo, lyrics, and energy of the tracks at the beginning of this album are the best parts of it.  As the album continues so does the message and the rock, but it isn't as hard rocking as Lux.  There is less grit and growl and more melody and clean singing on their sophomore effort.  Some songs have kind of an older metal sound to them.  I'm not one to normally bash things for being overproduced, but I think this album might suffer a little from sounding a little too "studio perfect" and it is missing the raw elements of their debut.  Still, I am liking it even more with each listen.  I think people need to hear this band and share with friends.  We could all benefit.

Check out the Remember We Die official video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUHsY6gPCys


No comments:

Post a Comment