Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2016

I Prevail - Lifelines

If you like post-hardcore, post nu-metal hard rock I recommend you check out I Prevail out of Southfield, Michigan.  I just picked up their brand new album Lifelines and I am lovin' it.  Now, I don't claim that they are as original as Nonpoint or as creative as Issues or Linkin Park, but they are a really solid band with dynamic songs.  Great lead singing by Brian Burkheiser is backed by a strong rhythm section and filled out with some electronic effects and multiple backing vocalists including guitarist Dylan Bowman and unclean vocals by Eric Vanlerberghe.

The disc has a good mix of styles and themes at times reminding me of everything from Three Days Grace to FFDP to Hawthorne Heights.  There's fun, upbeat songs (Stuck in Your Head, One More Time) and angrier, more aggressive songs (Come and Get It, Already Dead).  The latter has the brilliant lyric, "If I could bring you back to life, I'd kill you again."

This band gained popularity after covering Taylor Swift's "Blank Space" in December 2014 to help promote their EP Heart vs. Mind.  It has some good songs including the title track and "Crossroads."  In my opinion, their debut full length, Lifelines, establishes I Prevail as a legitimate player in today's hard rock scene and hopefully as a band that will do as their name implies.

No comments:

Post a Comment